Application is closed.
Open Call for TRANSDISCIPLINARY PROJECT at NEUMARKT + GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70
April – June 2020
The artist residence GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70 will start a joint residency program with NEUMARKT Zurich in 2020.
NEUMARKT is a hybrid place between city theatre and experimental stage and a meeting point for the local and international performing scene.
The GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70 is located in Zurich Altstetten in a former factory building in a industrial area. Artists, musicians, designers, inventors, composers, writers, graphic artists, dancers, filmmakers, and many more work in the Gleis70 Cooperative building.
This open call is aimed at VISUAL ARTISTS from all over the world or visual artists from the French, Italian or Romansh-speaking parts of Switzerland who are interested in a transdisciplinary approach between visual and performing arts.
For three months (April-June 2020), residents can use the Chorgassen Studio/ Workshop of NEUMARKT in Zurich’s Old Town and a work and living space of the Gleis70 cooperative: the GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70, in the industrial part of Zurich Altstetten. There is also a close connection to the artistic and cultural life of NEUMARKT, the Gleis70 cooperative and the city of Zurich.
1. The Chorgassen-Studio/workshop of NEUMARKT (approx. 100 m2) in the old town of Zurich, with toilet, running water and refrigerator. If required, it can be equipped with complete theatre equipment. Within walking distance of NEUMARKT.
2. The GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70 in the cooperative Gleis70 with living and working space, kitchen and bathroom (total 50m2). The studio is furnished: Shelves / desks / chairs / bed / sofa bed. Washing machine. WLAN. Two bicycles. The cafeteria on the 6th floor is open during the day from 9 – 16 o’clock.
3. Logistical, technical and curatorial advice on the creation and development of projects by NEUMARKT and its artistic team, performers and theatre workshops.
4. Open Studio/ Exhibition/ Presentation
5. Tickets for shows in NEUMARKT
6. It is possible to apply as a couple or a small group.
Visual Artists must have completed their studies at least 3 years ago and worked since in the artistic field.
This residence format is intended to facilitate artistic research, aesthetic experiments, participation or larger spatial projects. The submitted project idea is binding.
Selected artists are encouraged to provide insights into various phases of their artistic process during their stay from time to time.
We expect the artist to spend most of the time (at least 75%) of their stay in Zurich. For absences of more than 5 days, we would like that you inform us.
Following your stay, we need a final report. It should include information about your stay at Gleis70, your work in progress during that time and how your stay will benefit your artistic work in the future.
For our Guestartist collection and documentation we care for a trace of your stay, for example a small piece of your work or a short photographic documentation of what you did during your residency.
The Cooperative Gleis70, the Cultural Department of the State of Zurich and Pro Helvetia, Swiss Cultural Foundation provide the GUESTSTUDIO GLEIS70 to the artist for free. In addition the artists will receive a monthly payment of sFr. 1’500.-, as well as travel expenses from the home destination to Zurich and back (one time). The artists will also receive Fr. 1’000.- toward project costs. The artist will have health insurance during their stay. The artist is responsible for additional costs, livingexpenses, materials, etc.
NEUMARKT will provide the Chorgassen studio/workshop and technical support.
The application is only possible for the period April-June 2020!
Please send the following as 1 PDF by email only
(IMPORTANT: the complete PDF file attachements can not extend 10MB):
– Applicationform applicationform_2020
– Project description
– Ideas for three to four open events.
– Curriculum vitae
– Documentation of recent artistic works (last 6 years)
Application deadline is June 16th, 2019 Send to: email@example.com
If an application doesn’t meet the deadline, exceeds the 10MB or is incomplete or not readable, it will not be considered. Applications by postal-services will not be considered. Application by wetransfer or dropbox will not be considered.
If you will not hear from us until beginning of October 2019 we were unable to include you in our guestartist program.